Tuesday, October 19, 2010

PIQF Stars



Here's another proud quilter at PIQF. Renee Gannon stands in front of her Hawaii quilt, Lo'i Kalo. It's part of our Hawaii quilt project and is an abstraction of taro fields near where she stays in Kaua'i every year. She used dupioni silk which gives it that lovely shimmer.



And here is Ann Horton, happy with her Judge's Choice ribbon for her quilt, Basket Arrangements. Gloria Loughman was the judge. Ann used several photos taken by her daughter, Jesse Horton, in Guatemala. Ann had two other quilts in the show. She's been winning ribbons like crazy it seems. Yay for Ann, and all our group members with quilts in this show.

Most of us went down to Santa Clara for 2 days and enjoyed the show, and the vendors, especially Ananse Village where Vicky, Laura and I came away with some gorgeous batik and tie dye fabric from Africa. We also just had a great time hanging out together, eating light meals by the pool, enjoying the sun and admiring everyone's fabric and thread purchases. Part of our group is bound for Houston in November. I'll be traveling in Israel and Egypt then, so I will miss the IQA show, but I'm really excited about the inspiration and adventures I'll have there.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Ananse Village is really worth checking out. Most of what they have to offer is miles of damask and cotton, dyed in gorgeous solid hues and beautiful bleedy blendy handpainted stripe and abstract patterns. Not the African prints that we are more familiar with.
I've already torn shapes from 3 or 4 different Ananse fabrics I bought at PIQF, and am using them as a multi-colored background for a quilt that will depict a number of nude figures which started as sketches from a life drawing group I attend every so often. Just wait...

Chris said...

I saw two of Ann's quilts at PIQF and was delighted to see she won a well-deserved ribbon! I'm only sorry I didn't run into all of you who went. I was there on Thursday only -- not enough time!

Congratulations, Ann!

Chris Smith